Scroll To Top
Snohomish Regional Fire & Rescue

Outdoor Burning Information

One of the services provided to residents of Snohomish Regional Fire & Rescue is a Residential Outdoor Burning Permit program. The program was established by the Board of Fire Commissioners through Resolutions 2017-02 and 2017-08. This program was established to provide a means for our residents to burn legally, in an effort to reduce the incidence of wildfire by offering residents a way to dispose of vegetative yard waste.

Residential outdoor burning is allowed with a permit in areas within the fire district which contain residential dwelling units and are of a lot size substantial enough to support the required setback requirements, and are outside of an Urban Growth Area (UGA). In addition to residential burn permits, recreational fires are allowed as specified below in all areas without a burn permit.

There is a $25 fee for residential burn permits, and they are issued for a 12-month period from purchase date. Residential burning is prohibited July 1 through August 31 of each year. No permits will be issued during this timeframe, nor during any burn ban. Burn ban status and burn permits may be obtained at

Residents can obtain a burn permit online, or they can call or visit our Main Office (953 Village Way, Monroe, WA 98272 -- 360-794-7666) which is open between 9:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Please note that the Main Office is closed for lunch each day from 12:00pm-1:00pm.

Do you have a specific question regarding outdoor burning? Please contact members of our Planning Division at . If you want to report unlawful burning, you must call 911 at the time the burning is occurring.

Click image to enlarge AA

Complaints of outdoor burning violations must be reported to 911.

Violations of outdoor burning rules result in the issuance of Notice of Unlawful burning. Such notices may be forwarded to the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA). PSCAA is the region's air pollution control authority. The PSCAA has the ability to levy civil fines against a property owner for outdoor burning violations. The fire district does not issue fines; however, the PSCAA may. If you have specific questions about outdoor burning, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at or 360-805-0338.